Demon Fang (魔神剣 Majinken?, lit. "Demon God Sword"), also Demon Fist (魔神拳 Majinken?, lit. "Demon God Fist") and Demon Dog (魔神犬 Majinken?, lit. "Demon God Dog"), is a classic technique used throughout the Tales series, often as a starting arte for a majority of its users (especially protagonists). It is due to that the trademark logo is literally a silhouette of a user (namely Cress Albein) performing the attack, in ode to its mass usage.
Each version of the attack despite having different names, all have the same Japanese reading.
Description and History
This arte is a grounded-projectile that is launched from either the user's weapon or fist. It often functions primarily as the user's standard projectile attack, though often of low-base damage due to how early the arte is received in most titles it appears in. It is because of its grounded nature that in most games save for those with the Aerial Linear Motion Battle System, it can easily be jumped over and/or can miss airborne targets. Despite the name of the attack, it is not a darkness-based attack, while in some games it can also be performed in midair.
In games such as Tales of Symphonia, the projectile in all its variations gains a bonus effect in that it can pick off downed targets off the ground, possibly for some extra combo utility. It can also guard break any targets that have been hit from either behind or the side.
Alisha Diphda is one example of a character who uses the attack without a sword, despite the Japanese name, as she uses a spear for the arte instead.
Appearances and Users (Demon Fang)
- Note: Names in parenthesis are the localized names used, unless the title in question does not have a proper localization.
- Tales of Phantasia (all ports): Cress Albein (Demon Fang)
- Tales of Destiny (all ports): Stahn Aileron, Leon Magnus (both playable and boss version; localized as Missile Blow in PSX version)
- PSX version: Shadow
- Tales of Eternia: Reid Hershel, Valkyrie, Cress Albein (Sonic Blade)
- Tales of Symphonia: Lloyd Irving, Kratos Aurion, Zelos Wilder (Demon Fang)
- Tales of Rebirth: Veigue Lungberg
- Tales of Legendia: Chloe Valens (Demon Fang)
- Tales of the Abyss: Guy Cecil (Demon Fang)
- Tales of Innocence (DS version): Ruca Milda, Spada Belforma, Asura
- Tales of Innocence R: Ruca Milda
- Tales of Vesperia (X360 version): Flynn Scifo, Traitor to Heaven (Demon Fang)
- PS3 version: Flynn Scifo, Leblanc, Traitor to Heaven
- Tales of Hearts (DS version): Kunzite, Guy, Stahn Aileron (very latter uses it as a support arte when summoned)
- Tales of Hearts R: Kor Meteor, Kunzite (Demon Fang)
- Tales of Graces (both ports): Asbel Lhant (Demon Fang)
- Tales of Xillia: Alvin, Wingul, Gaius (Demon Fang)
- Tales of Xillia 2: Ludger Will Kresnik, Alvin, Gaius, Victor, Stahn Aileron (Demon Fang), Cress Albein
- Tales of Zestiria: Alisha Diphda, Sergei Strelka (Demon Fang)
- Tales of Berseria: Antique Armor, Lancelot, Cluster Fang (Demon Fang)